Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

16 March 2011

Unsettling.....

Let me preface this post with one very important piece of information: Despite public schools not being the right place for my family and the fact that I relearn that almost everyday, I am not opposed to public school. I do not pitch a fit or feel upset that my property taxes go to education (but I do get a little feisty that the money is allocated poorly so that the teachers and students aren't benefitting as much as they should), and I do not doubt the good intentions of those looking to educate your children. Some people can't or don't want to homeschool and I say more power to yah! I get to choose what's best for my family and it would be tragic for you to not do the same.

I follow Oak Norton at Utah's Republic.org. He is the motivator behind making sure that the Utah's schools are learning proper things.... like the little fact that the United States is a Republic. It was only recently and under his constant prodding that there was a bill passed which made it mandatory for this information to be taught. :-) (If you think we're a democracy, just imagine that you have a nice home for you and your family and some people got together and voted to take your home away... just for funsises. Well, the majority won and now your no longer have a place to live. That's how a democracy works, majority rules.... be grateful and very aware that we live in a republic!)

I got an email this morning from Oak on Common Core Curriculum requirements being introduced into schools. This is something that public and home schooler's should take note of, because we're getting scary here and I can see this branching out to an uncontrollable monster. With this new set of requirements comes a mandatory request for your child's:

"hair color, eye color, gestational age at birth (whether a child was premature or not), blood type, blood test results, birth marks, and even bus stop arrival time."

Umm... why? So you can see what factors lead to better test scores and success in school? And if that is the case.... how does one use this information now that you have it? I know what Hitler did with his information. Don't laugh just yet, seriously, feel free to think why all this information is needed and leave a comment. Consider too, that the Common Core Curriculum is also trying to make local and state school boards obsolete. How do you feel about completely federally run schools? Is it okay to not have a say in your child's education at a local level? Personally, I don't think so! Even if my children were in public school that would not make obsolete my right as a parent to know about and fight for/against what is being taught to my children. But, of course, this question is for those of you in the public school system right now. I'm interested to hear thoughts.

Anyway, Oak's preface is here, and you can read the whole article here.

Even if you're a homeschooler what happens in the public schools can directly affect you, so take note! You are not an island to yourself, and something like this could very well legislate down to us, especially in the more regulated homeschooling states.

What are the functions of a public school, and how should they be run? Many say that their goal is to "educate" children, but the first question posed to homeschooler's is how our children get socialize (GREAT article on that here), and still yet we have legislation mandating all day Kindergarten and extending school hours for the main purpose that it's easier for working parents.... suggesting a daycare-ish purpose. It's quite the enigma to me!