Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

12 March 2011

Homestead Blessings

I'm surprised that I haven't mentioned Homestead Blessings! I bought some DVD's in 2009 because I desperately wanted to learn some skills to benefit my family and I couldn't find anyone that new how to do what I wanted to do! My hubby laughed when he first knew of my acquisition, but readily became excited as we watched soap and candle making! He still talks about them... and we've acquired "a few" more since on everything from gardening and canning to quilting, sewing, and dairy products. I love the West Ladies that host the show, and they inspire the homesteader within me every time I watch their shows!
Franklin Springs often has really great sales, so you'll have an opportunity to add the video(s) of your choice to your home that will fit your family budget, just be patient!

Just for fun, and to try to peak your interest, here is their recipe for hamburger buns. I LOVE making my own Hamburger Buns and I directly thank Homestead Blessings for giving me the confidence to do this. Seriously, it's so easy, really yummy, and it saves me money. There is no down side to having this recipe on hand in your home:

*************************************************************************************
~Hamburger Buns~
4-5 cups Flour (white, wheat or a combo of both)
2 Tbl yeast
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
3 Tbl honey
1 tsp salt

*Mix 2 cups flour with 2 Tbl yeast. Heat water, oil, milk, honey, and salt on the stove until very warm. Pour liquid mixture into the flour and beat well. Start adding the rest of the flour until the dough is soft. Knead briefly, then let rest for 10 minutes. Next, roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out buns (I use the mouth of one of our cups for this, the West Ladies use biscuit cutters), and let rise for half an hour on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
*************************************************************************************

So, their explanation is prettier, mine here came from the shorthand that I wrote myself in my recipe book, so get the movie and enjoy having the recipes straight from them via pdf! I have no incentive to write this post other than to share with you the joys that I've received from being able to "spend time" with ladies that know skills that I literally pray to have in my life.

Happy perusing!

*Are there any favorite recipes or skills that you've learned that help you feel more self-sufficient?

6 comments:

Heather B said...

I am so totally going to check those out!

We capsulate our own vitamins. It's much cheaper to buy the herbs in bulk powder form (or grow them and crush into powder form), and we have a capsulating machine, so we spend a day doing it as a family, assembly line style. By the time we're done, we have thousands of vitamins and herbs all ready for the next year or so for our family's health and blessing. I remember the first day we accomplished that, it felt SO good to know that if we ever couldn't buy what we needed for our health, as long as we had a storage supply of empty capsules on hand, we could grow much of what we need (herb wise) and capsulate it ourselves, and still stay healthy. That's probably the quirkiest self-sufficient thing we do :) I posted about it once, I'll have to find the link and send it to you :)

Heather B said...

Oooooh! Our local library has all of them!!!

crazy4boys said...

I only have 3 of their videos and love them. How do I find out about the sales though?

crazy4boys said...

May I post this recipe over at Penny-Wise Women?

Cherie said...

You're lucky Heather! I think you'll enjoy them. I'm sure you know a lot of the stuff in them, but everyone that I've shared these videos have loved them and acquired some of their own.

Crazy... I get email updates from Fanklin Springs. I'm not sure why I do, probably something from when I ordered my first videos a couple years ago, but that would be my first thought. Or, you could just have an awesome friend that will email you when she sees something come up :-D. I've seen them go anywhere between $8-10, and they also do a discount sometimes on building your own packs I want to say that a couple times a year I see some pretty sweet deals, I'll keep you posted.

Feel free to repost the recipe. I'm sure accrediting it to Homestead Blessings makes it fair game.

crazy4boys said...

I'm so glad I have AWESOME friends who let me know when there are sales on stuff like this!