Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

07 June 2010

Water, water everywhere, and you need more to drink!

Okay, side note, you know your kid is a military kid when he walks up to you and says "Mommy, I need to hydrate." Which also brings me to the point, which you're welcome to use as well, that my child speaks other languages.... he speaks Latter-day Saint, homeschooler, and military. So there you go, my kid is a linguist and yours probably is too!

Anyway! I can pretty much bet that you're dehydrated! I know I am. I broke down and bought a scale this week. I just wanted to get a cheap one to track my weight for funsies, but I ended up buying one that measures your body fat and hydration level. I thought it was important to know those extra numbers and worth $10 more than a basic one. Once home I got to wondering what level of hydration I should be shooting for and how much I should be drinking each day. I try to be conscious of my water intake, but let's face it, most days it's a struggle for me to remember to eat. I try for an 8 glass minimum, but know I need more. Well, I found an awesome article that breaks things down the way a nerd like me likes to see things:

A good estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day. If you exercise you should drink another eight ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active. If you drink alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water. When you are traveling on an airplane, it is good to drink eight ounces of water for every hour you are on board the plane. If you live in an arid climate, you should add another two servings per day. As you can see, your daily need for water can add up to quite a lot.

Twenty percent of your water need will come from the foods you eat. The rest of your water need should come from the beverages you drink. Water is the best choice. Sodas have a lot of sugar in them, so if you drink sodas, you may take in more calories than you need. Herbal teas that aren't diuretic are fine. Sports drinks contain electrolytes and may be beneficial, just look out for added sugar and calories that you don't need. Juices are good because they have vitamins and nutrients.

Caffeinated beverages will also add to your daily water need. Even though caffeine is a diuretic, if you regularly consume caffeine, your body will regulate itself to that diuretic effect.

I think it's also pretty safe to say that if you're nursing you should be adding more to that number as well. Interesting huh? Like everything else, each person needs a different amount, so I hope you know what you need now and will do your best to achieve it! Water is so important to our bodies! It seriously regulates every part of us and a lack of it can cause some major issues within us. Happy Watering!



No comments: