Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

05 June 2010

Making Fitness Work For Mom!

As I conquered (yes, conquered) my workout this morning I began thinking of my 5 readers out there who may benefit from my journey! It seems like my intensity and endurance for beating myself up, I mean exercising, gets amped with each passing year... read "each pregnancy." Kids take a lot out of you and leave you with extra pounds and fatigue in exchange... it's a good thing they're cute!
My husband has always been supportive of me, but let's face it, having little kids at home, especially unpredictable nursing babies, or being pregnant and only having hubby home and available to tend kids at the hour I can barely take a step with wanting to toss my cookies, doesn't help the fitness level that much! Anyway, as I am also often a single mom for long periods of time I had to figure out how I was going to get my body back and better after each baby with no help from anyone else.

While I have a state of the art gym at my disposal to use for free, I also have a 15 week old, a 2 year old. a 3 year old and a 4 year :-)

As for tri training I rely heavily on my road bike set up on a fluid wind trainer
so that I ca
n train indoors at any hour of the day. I often set it up in the living room, turn on Biggest Loser and go for a spin! This is usually in the morning and the kids, on their own, do sit-ups, jumping jacks, run in place or stretch while I'm riding. I also use a treadmill that I was able to borrow from a friend. It's crowing my room, but worth every inch of space that's lost. I'm working on making our garage into gym, but until then, my room serves that function. Which works out because the only tv in our home is in my room (without tv channels), but is connected to the internet so I can watch netflix or movies.... that tv will travel to garage when everything is set up as well.

My other trick is that I have an AWESOME collection of workout videos. I had to buckle down and realize that my dream of spending an hour or more in the gym was only going to end with
infrequent, if done at all, workouts. I.e. I was gaining fat and not doing so hot in the carido department because I was waiting to go to the gym. So, I took matters in my own hands and purchased some treasures that I've done before kids get up, while they're up, right after they go to bed, whenever! The idea here is that I can be consistent, get a great workout, and not have to rely on anyone but myself.

-Mom's into fitness I found to shake up my pregnancy workout. I love that these are broken down by trimester, so I looked forward to a whole new workout each 3 months as opposed to doing the same
video for the whole 9 months (which is what I was doing before). The
one I bought also included a postnatal boot camp DVD which I was very eager to get to and LOVE. Lindsay Brin's commentary can be annoying (sorry if you ever read this Lindsay, it's not personal!), but the workouts are WONDERFUL. The Boot Camp disk that I'm on right now allows you to customize your workout and are fairly short and to the point while leaving you sweating and feeling accomplished. Her mantra is that you can get in better shape after having kids then before, and I believe that with all my heart! She's also very focused on your core health and wants to build your ab wall before addressing
the superficial... read fat that we all want to be rid of. That's the way to do it! Her videos are great for everyone, check her out! These also add in strength training/weight workouts.

-10 Minute Solutions: I picked these up last year and love to do them, but have feelings of disgust and hatred while I'm doing them. *laugh* I know, that really makes you want to pick them up now huh! The workouts are just that good... you trudge through them wanting to kill the woman on the screen, but at the end you want to give yourself and her a great big
hug! These are both customizable, do one 10 minute workout, 3 of your choice, or the whole thing. Each 10 minute segment is a full workout complete with warm up and cool down.
10 Minute Solution: Hot Body Boot Camp (I hate and love her the most)



More to come later on this subject I'm sure! I just wanted to give you some idea of how fitness with children can work. It's SO important for us to be healthy and strong.... we have a VERY demanding job and have to be ready for anything. We want more kids so it's important for me to make sure that my body is able to handle doing that, taking care of my current kids, and being hot for my husband. Okay, the last one is a little vain, but in the end it's just going to be me and him and while he loves who I am as a person it doesn't hurt to give him something nice to look at too! He deserves it!

No comments: