Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. ~ Margaret D. Nadald

Our Father also gifted us with the nature to nurture, keen sensitivity to the Spirit, selflessness, discernment, and heroic faith. No wonder our Father placed us at the heart of the family and thus at the center of the plan of salvation. We are the Lord's secret weapon. ~ Sheri Dew


I'd love it if you would follow my blog!

16 December 2009

A Whole Lot of Crazy

I think if I called myself just a little crazy, I would be lying. So, my post title has to be "A Whole Lot of Crazy" because that's really the only way I see myself most times. It seems like every year I end up deciding to do at least one thing that ends up being pretty life changing in how it affects me and my family. I don't try to do this, it just happens.....

For instance. We just moved. Like I've only been unloading boxes for a week, just moved. My oldest goes to TaeKwonDo 4-5 times a week, my husband is at the work or gym for many hours a day, so I never know when I'll see him, and like I said, I (and my 29 weeks pregnant self) am unloading boxes with a 3 year old and 18 month old underfoot.... while still providing meals and laundry services. If there was ever a time in my life that I was ABSOLUTELY NOT looking for something else to do, it would be now. However, it seems like in the midst of these moments that I end up stumbling on my new goals/passions. (That actually pretty well describes how I got together with my husband too... I was super crazy busy, career oriented, and then out of no where I get hit over the head and realized that only he and the life he had to offer really matter. Boy did that change things!)

Anyway, I had to drop off my sons uniform at an Outdoor Adventure store to get patches sewn on, and I happen to look down and see a registration form for the "Polar Bear Triathlon." I notice that the event actually took place 3 days before I saw the flyer, and for some reason I asked if this was an annual event. Well, it is!! Now my mind is super focused on not only completing this event, but using it as a jumping off point to doing more and eventually trying to make it through an Ironman qualifier so I can participate in the Hawaii Championships.

Hello???????? I think I briefly entertained the thought of doing a triathlon last year, but that was just because I was working out a lot and thought training for it would be an even better workout, but where has my mind gone! *laugh* I have to say that the most rewarding part of all this is how supportive my husband is. We talked about an hour after I saw the flyer and I filled him in on everything and he got really excited. He's now talking about participating in the June Triathlon (same place, a little longer though), and I would do this one in December (I'm sure it'll be a little annoying to have to wait for mine, but seeing as how I can't really train hard until mid-April, I think the timing will work out well.)

I was just thinking that I'd train for this and do other races locally, but my goals got a lot bigger when I started thinking about doing the IronMan down the road.... (WAY down the road). I think too that while we're healthy eaters and care about exercise/fitness, that I'm especially excited for my kids to see me participate in these kinds of things. I've always been up for having a large family, but I've never been willing to accept being an overweight mom "because of it." I thankfully have slimmed down between each one, but I think this takes my views to a whole new level. My kids are already wanting to train with me and it's only been barely 3 days since this idea landed in my lap. I'm really looking forward to a time where I can enter these races with them! What an amazing opportunity!

So, thus we go creating change within the family yet again. I find solace in the fact that our other "ah ha" moments have worked out well and am excited for a new adventure with my homeschooling, cloth diapering, homemade laundry detergent, corn syrup free, mostly vegetarian, book reading, always discovering, music playing, 4 kids under 4, family!

3 comments:

malia said...

All I can say is "WOW!" You are an amazing person and very inspirational. We were just talking about you guys the other day and how much we miss you. Steve especially misses your cooking. :)

Chelsea Stewart said...

Way to go Cherie! My husband's dream is to do the Hawaii Iron Man. I think he is crazy for wanting to put his body through that, but maybe I just say that because I am too lazy! :) But if you've got the discipline and the motivation, go for it! Don't work too hard with that little one in your belly! Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really admire you. I do really good to get in my stairmaster 3 times a week